unable to mount root fs (kernel upgrade)

Lukas Mol L.Mol at ITS.TUDelft.nl
Sun Mar 4 08:15:40 PST 2001

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a nfs-server on my lfs-box. Followed the hint, and
upgraded accordingly from 2.2.17 to 2.2.18. At least that's what I tried.
If I boot the 2.2.18 kernel I get a kernel panic, and VFS: unable to mount
root fs.
What I did:
1. patch my 2.2.17 src tree to 2.2.18
2. ran 'make oldconfig' and answered everything with default (No).
3. ran 'make menuconfig' and set all nfs-options to Y.
3. ran 'make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install'
4. copied new kernel to /boot; edited lilo.conf, ran lilo.

Anyone has an idea where to look for the solution.
I've searched google and lfs-mailing lists: nothing.

TIA. Lukas

PS: This the output from (cfg.18.1 is the 2.2.18 config file, lfscfg5.2 is
the 2.2.17 config file):

bash-2.04# diff -b -i cfg.18.1 lfscfg5.2
22,24d21
< # CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
< # CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
< # CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set