Lilo and grub

Philip Stubbs philstubbs at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 10 15:22:02 PST 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, stefano wrote:

> hi, I'm happily in the middle of my way to LFS ( thanks to all people who
> helped me), I have to configurate lilo to add the new kernel but, the distro
> I'm running (Mandrake 7.2), uses Grub as bootloader.
> Does it make any difference? Grub will be delete from the boot sector? There
> are some advices for a safe change?
> thanks,
> Stefano

My system has two versions of Lilo running. I installed my LFS system onto
hda3 and installed the LFS lilo on hda3

the config looks like this

boot = /dev/hda3
timeout = 200
prompt
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
image = /boot/kernel-2.2.17-1
  label = lin
  root = /dev/hda3
  append="hdc=ide-scsi"
image = /boot/kernel-2.2.17
  label = old
  root = /dev/hda3
  append="hdc=ide-scsi"

I then configured my main (Mandrake 7.0) system with an option to boot
hda3 which goes somthing like this :-

boot = /dev/hda
timeout = 200
prompt
  message = /boot/message
  default = win
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
image = /boot/kernel-2.2.17
  label = lin
  root = /dev/hda5
  append="hdc=ide-scsi"
other = /dev/hda3
  label = lfs
  table = /dev/hda
other = /dev/hda1
  label = win
  table=/dev/hda
other = /dev/fd0
  label = floppy
  unsafe

In your situation, this second config file will be the equivelant setup
for grub.

HTH

--
Philip Stubbs (philstubbs at bigfoot.com)