Entering chroot

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 14 13:21:11 PST 2001

> but if I goto /bin/bash and run ./bash it works fine.

that's the wrong bash. when you run the chroot command you have to imagine
that $LFS is not /

chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env /bin/bash --login
refers to:

$LFS/usr/bin/env and $LFS/bin/bash

not /usr/bin/env and /bin/bash on your host system anymore.

> From $LFS if I ldd /bin/bash  I get
> a list of several libs that are dynamically linked

Ok that's your problem. $LFS/bin/bash is not statically linked.

where you shouldn't show them and doesn't show them where it should show
them, so run the following. The configure line is one long line, don't hit
enter anywhere even though

./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/usr --bindir=$LFS/bin
--disable-nls --with-curses && make

This should build bash static. Now before you do anything else, run this in
the bash source tree (where you typed the configure command):
ldd bash

If that bash binary is static then run make install and the rest of the
commands listed in the book.

btw you are reading at least the 2.4.4 version of the book rihgt

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org