Urgent : big doubt about Xorg prefix

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:35:35 PDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Nicolas FRANCOIS <nicolas.francois at free.fr> wrote:

> I'd like to correct a possible error as soon as possible : in the SVN
> BLFS book, Xfree is installed in /usr/X11R6, but in the Xorg
> instructions, it is said that you have the choice for XORG_PREFIX
> between /usr or /opt (and every other thing, if you dare).
>
> Is it really /usr, or /usr/X11R6 ? I saw a package building instructions
> a while after which seemed to rely on the existence of /usr/X11R6, but I
> don't have that directory, and can't find where I was supposed to create
> it.

You can put it wherever you want. The XORG_PREFIX note is about FHS
compliance, but we've been thinking about removing that. You can use
/usr/X11R6 if you'd like. If not /usr or /usr/X11R6, make a symlink
/usr/X11R6 -> $XORG_PREFIX to be safe. There are a very few
applications that expect X to be in a specific location.

--
Dan