uninstalling

Peter B. Steiger pbs_lists_001 at bluebottle.com
Fri Aug 10 07:25:16 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 07:41 +0000, Cubo Aula Info wrote:
> I installed with success BLFS but a question still remains:
> how can i uninstall packages if i have to upgrade the system?
> at the moment I have a directory where I have *all* the sources so I
> can simply type "make uninstall", but this way costs a lot of disk
> space. I read the Hint section: I do not want to use RPM, pkgsrc, git,
> apt... I was looking for something more light and simple, like
> Slackware pkgtools or the program "install-log" I found in the Hint
> section. But it seems no more maintained

Have you ever looked at git?  It is a single bash script maybe 900 lines
long with no external configuration files.  For each package it stores
one file listing all the files that were installed with that package.

I installed git as soon as its dependencies (which, sed, awk) were
installed; now it uses up about 4 megabytes of data for 320 packages in
its history file.  I can back up all the files for a given package or
delete all those files with a three-word command ("git --backup package"
or "git --remove package")

What could be simpler?

--
Peter B. Steiger