chrooting to blfs

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 06:27:13 PDT 2007

On 8/13/07, mario <danidar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have ended building lfs, I want to build lfs, but I don't know how
> chroot.
> i have to chroot using another OS than the one that served as host for the
> build of lfs. because that host (the lfs live cd) did not reckonize the
> network card of the computer.
>
> when I chroot using this other operating system. using the command at the
> end of chapter 6 of the lfs book 6.2, and i do a uname -a; i don't get the
> kernel of the lfs but the kernel of the machine i am chrooting from. how
> could I solve that?
>
> how should I enter chroot now?
>
> the command i am currently using is:
>
> chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i \
> HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin \
> /bin/bash --login
>
> do i still have to populate dev?
>
> thank you.

It's normal that your kernel is still the old, when you chroot, you
only change the root of all files to something different. All programs
and libraries will be loaded from the LFS system, but the kernel will
still be the old one.

Tijnema
--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info