Xorg / Gnome client file?

Georgina Joyce gena-j at bulldoghome.com
Wed Aug 15 12:56:02 PDT 2007

There was a bug in our Mesa build a while back where the variable
pointing to the the DRI drivers was incorrect. Try this out:

$ strings $XORG_PREFIX/lib/libGL.so | grep /dri
GJ:  It doesn't return anything.  I've reinstalled Mesa and Xserver and still no output.

It should say ${XORG_PREFIX}/lib/X11/modules/dri, but part of the path
was missing for a while. You might need to rebuild Mesa to get the
right paths setup.

> System has no X client file

GDM can be kind of convoluted when starting. It sounds like you've
selected the "Default" session. This looks in some "standard" places
to find out what to do. Here's what happens when default is passed to
/etc/gnome/$version/gdm/Xsession:

if [ "x$command" = "xdefault" ] ; then
  if [ -x "$HOME/.Xclients" ]; then
    command="$HOME/.Xclients"
  elif [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ]; then
    command="/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients"
  elif [ -x /etc/X11/Xclients ]; then
    command="/etc/X11/Xclients"
  else
    if [ -n "$zenity" ] ; then
        disptext=`gettextfunc "System has no Xclients file, so starting a failsa
fe xterm session.  Windows will have focus only if the mouse pointer is above th
em.  To get out of this mode type 'exit' in the window."`
      "$zenity" --info --text "$disptext"
    else
      echo "$0: Cannot find Xclients"
    fi
    exec xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0
  fi
fi

So, if you choose the Default session, you need to supply ~/.Xclients,
/etc/X11/Xclients or /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients or it falls back to the
behavior you're seeing. Try picking the GNOME session from the GDM
login screen, and gnome-session will be executed instead.
GJ:  That's what's happening but I'm sorry, I don't know how to "pick" gnome session from the GDM login screen as I've not got any speech support there.  Can I do this from a text file.  Gdm/Xsession?

Thanks
--
Dan