usb mouse in Xorg 7.1

Michael Uleysky uleysky at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 23:08:42 PDT 2007

> Hello
> I have installed and configured Xorg 7.1, I am using a laptop, and when i
> launch X the usb mouse connected to it doesn't move, only the touchpad
> works. but the usb mouse doesn't. I have installed libusb, and usbutils from
> lfs. i have also enabled an option in the kernel for USB HID or something
> similar, but still doesn't work.
> I have installed in the same computer a debian sid which has a working
> mouse. so I know it is possible. I just can't find a way to make it work in
> lfs.
> thank you very much.

First, check if you mouse supported by kernel. Simplest way: cat
/dev/input/mice and move you mouse. If you see a many garbadge symbols
then all ok. If not, try to modprobe usbhid or recompile kernel with
mouse support.

Second, check you xorg.conf. In section "InputDevice" for mouse try
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"