Log files on a lfs / blfs box

Georgina Joyce gena-j at bulldoghome.com
Fri Aug 24 04:04:03 PDT 2007

Hi

Many thanks.

Gena

Amateur Call: M 0 E B P

VOIP / IM: gena1959uk

-----Original Message-----
From: blfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org [mailto:blfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Dan Nicholson
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:58 PM
To: BLFS Support List
Cc: gena-j at bulldoghome.com
Subject: Re: Log files on a lfs / blfs box

On 8/23/07, dennisjperkins at comcast.net <dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote:

> > I wondered is there a package that would provide more logs?  I'm trying to get
> > brltty installed and setup but I seem to be having a problem.  The brltty email
> > list suggest I look at /var/log/messages which doesn't obviously exist on my
> > blfs box, or should it?  I also keep meaning to raise the issue of dmesg.  I
> > find this most useful in building custom kernels.  So is there a package or a
> > script that provide dmesg too?  I see from google that others also find dmesg
> > useful.
>
> If you are running the sysklogd script at startup, you should have /var/log/messages.  Are klogd and syslogd running?

This is defined in /etc/syslog.conf. On Fedora, all messages go to
/var/log/messages. On LFS, the default setup is to send all messages
to /var/log/sys.log.

dmesg comes from util-linux. Note that kernel messages are also logged
to /var/log/kern.log by klogd on a default LFS installation.

So, you should be able to get just as many messages as anyone else
since the applications decide what's sent to syslog, and everything is
logged by default.

--
Dan