Gtk apps segfault when selecting text

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:22:48 PDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Lauri Kasanen <curaga at operamail.com> wrote:
> Hi, and thanks Dan for the suggestion.
>
> I used the instructions from Pidgin's site (handle SIGPIPE nostop, run, bt full) and got a bactrace. Unfortunately everything in my system is stripped, but atleast the gtk function name where the crash happened is seen.

> 0xb7d83d84 in _gtk_text_btree_get_chars_changed_stamp ()
>
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  0xb7d83d84 in _gtk_text_btree_get_chars_changed_stamp ()
>    from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #1  0xb7da3429 in gtk_text_iter_ends_line () from
>    /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #2  0x00000006 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #3  0x00000016 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #4  0xbfd12304 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #5  0xbfd12308 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #6  0xbfd12310 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #7  0xbfd122f0 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #8  0xbfd123e8 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #9  0xb7da1d27 in gtk_text_iter_is_end () from
>    /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>    No symbol table info available.
>    #10 0x083a0eb8 in ?? ()
>    No symbol table info available.

Well, it looks like it's confined to gtk. So, the first thing to do is
try the newest stable version, 2.10.14, and see if that fixes it. If
not, rebuild with debugging symbols and don't strip the library. If
you leave CFLAGS unset, it will use the defaults of '-g -O2' which
should be fine. Otherwise, just make sure you get -g into your CFLAGS
and keep -O below 3 so things aren't optimized out (passing -O0 would
assure that no values are optimized out, but it's probably not
necessary).

After you get things figured out, you rebuild gtk as you did before.

--
Dan