Filesystem options

taipan67 sysadm.taipan67 at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 28 03:50:21 PDT 2007

Simon Geard wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I'm about to start on a hardware upgrade, which includes moving all my
> data to a new disk. My current setup uses reiserfs3 for both root and
> home partitions, but I'm wondering if anything else might be more
> preferable since I'm starting from a clean disk.
>
> Can anyone comment on what else is currently available, and what would
> be most appropriate for a desktop machine? Keep reiser3? Good old Ext3?
> XFS or JFS?
>
> Simon.

I've switched from reiserfs-3.6 back to ext3, but in full-journal mode,
since i saw the following forum-thread :-

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-305871.html

I've been extremely happy with my system's performance ever since. It
should also theoretically allow straightforward upgrading to ext4 when
it becomes stable enough in the future (as far as i know - would those
more knowledgeable please correct me if necessary).

taipan