Problem with ftp access

randd randd at cslimits.net
Wed Nov 7 20:37:28 PST 2007

Nicholas,

> I have an annoying problem with my new LFS box (LFS SVN post 6.3, BLFS
> SVN) : Everything is working quite OK...except ftp. When I want to
> connect to an ftp server, everything goes OK until I want to dir a
> directory :
>
> ftp> ls
> 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
> 425 Failed to establish connection.

I've had this exact same problem.  Unfortunately, it was a while ago and I
can't remember what the cure (or the exact cause was).

Fortunately, I do remember it had something to do with the fact that I had
two or more NICs in that machine.  In my case I couldn't get a connection to
go under any circumstances, period (eg., even if I set ftp up for PASV
mode).

I'll keep looking in my "archives" and see if I can't find something more
specific.  In the meantime, Dan's suggestion r.e. strace is a good one; you
might also get some use out of tcpdump
(http://packetstormsecurity.org/sniffers/tcpdump/ - read the docs; I'm
fairly certain you'll need libpcap, too).

Two quick questions - they're pretty obvious, but you know how that goes -
you're not blocking port 21 or port 22, right?  And, if you have openssh
installed, have you tried sftp?

Hope that helps

 - Larry