Pseudo TTy's deprecated

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 05:04:02 PST 2007

Having just built a new LFS/Xorg using mostly book methods, I came to
configure the kernel (2.6.23.8) and running oldconfig suggested that
the BSD-style Ptys were deprecated - I seem to remember this has been
the case for some while.  However, I don't know of an X-terminal
emulator that doesn't need ptys, and they are used for other purposes.

What are the kernel-nincompoops (the purpose of Linux is to play
with kernels) saying we should use for xterms and the like? Or have I
missed something here?

R.