booting LFS from usb-external disk

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Tue Nov 27 13:29:48 PST 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 09:39, Heinrich Tomanek wrote:

> calling grub with a disk option is not the right way, i hope it was a
> typo. In grub, every disk is a HD, therefore is your disk a hd0.

Not at all a typo. Lack of knowledge !

> The correct command sequence for sda5 (hd0,4) is:
> # sh> grub
> # grub> root (hd0,4)
> # grub> setup (hd0,4)
> # grub> quit
> # sh> reboot # and enjoy

Well, this for sure will install in the main /dev/hda5, which I can not hide
during this process. The point is, I am trying to install really
to /dev/sda5, which should be something like grub> root ( sda0,4).
Any way to perform this ?
Thank you very much for the help, as well as to Lauri's comment.
Regards,
Edgar