booting LFS from usb-external disk

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Wed Nov 28 08:07:16 PST 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 22:52, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Look in /boot/grub/device.map to see how grub interprets your drives.
> If it doesn't exist yet, run this command:
>
> echo quit | grub --batch --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map

Dan,

thank you very much for your hint.
The device-map shows that /dev/sda  corresponds to hd1.
invoking
grub> root (hd1,4)
grub> setup (hd1)
grub> quit

does now the job. However, when rebooting the PC from the external disk, the
boot procedure stops after a message "grub loading stage2" with the
prompt "grub>". That is all.
stage1 and 2 are in /dev/sda5/grub, as well as menu.lst
Could stage1 and 2 be wrong ? I copied them from my
original /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/
Edgar