[blfs-support] Accessing Audio CDs

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:08:08 PST 2012

alex lupu wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> I assume the premise is
> "have run into a problem with accessing an audio CD
>   in some applications, but not others."
>
> If it's more complicated and/or deeper than that
> please disregard the following.
>
> What I do for the rare occasions I _listen_ to
> (not rip, or do other fancy things) an audio CD:
>
> In /dev I make sure I have something like
>   /dev/cdrom -> sr0
> and in fstab something like
>   /dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom     iso9660 noauto,owner,ro

I've got that, but its for data CDs, not audio CDs. My options are a
little different:  user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro

> 1.  At command line (when I want to listen to, say, "Chattanooga Choo Choo"),
>
> []$ mplayer cdda://29
>   or
> []$ cdparanoia 29 - | aplay

What is 29?  In any case, I get:

MPlayer 1.1-4.7.1 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
192 audio & 400 video codecs

Playing cdda://2.
No stream found to handle url cdda://2

It doesn't matter what the number is.  I guess I need to figure out the
missing optional dependency.

   -- Bruce