[blfs-support] Accessing Audio CDs [success]

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:30:39 PST 2012

LM wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> There certainly are a lot of audio apps in BLFS.  I'm going to try to
>> explore them a bit more.  There are lots of configuration issues to
>> check.

> Some more info on the libraries in these articles:
> http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained
> http://xed.ch/help/sound.html

Thanks for the links.

Actually I know a fair amount about audio from a programming project a
few years ago.  One way to think about it is that all digital audio is
pcm and everything else is compression.

That is, the digital sound goes to the device and, if it's not already
pcm, is converted to pcm and then converted to analog for the speakers.

There are a ton of different compression formats.  What I am interested
in right now is the proper configuration of different applications in
BLFS to get the appropriate input (CD/DVD, network, file, microphone) to
the proper sound device for delivery to speakers (headsets are speakers
too).

> Another thing to keep in mind with audio players is format, lossy
> versus lossy.  I typically prefer lossless formats, especially for
> music.  So, I typically prefer working with wave or flac (lossless)
> files over ogg or mp3 formats (lossy).  There are several codecs (and
> their libraries) out there for lossy and lossless
> compression/decompression.

Yes, I am reasonably familiar with the internals of mp3 and ADPCM.
These types in compression are not my focus right now as that's
generally handled pretty well by available libraries.

> I have a list of some of the lightweight tools I've used for various
> audio, video and CD functions
> listed at http://www.distasis.com/cpp/osrclist.htm if anyone's
> curious.

That's a nice list.  Thanks for the feedback.

   -- Bruce