[blfs-support] Xorg-7.5-3 Errors

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Fri Dec 21 05:30:54 PST 2012

--- Em qui, 20/12/12, Ken Moffat escreveu:

> De: Ken Moffat
> Assunto: Re: [blfs-support] Xorg-7.5-3 Errors
> Para: "BLFS Support List"
> Data: Quinta-feira, 20 de Dezembro de 2012, 17:09
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 09:20:13AM
> -0800, Paul Rogers wrote:
> > I'm going to assume libpciaccess-0.12.0 is correct, and
> see what I can
> > find about its callers, if anything.
> >
> > I suppose the question must be asked, am I trying to
> install a
> > version of X that's "difficult" or "the sweet
> spot".  Knowing I'd be
> > following developments I did browse the blfs-dev
> mailing list of a
> > few years ago, settling on 7.5-3 as a likely
> candidate.  What I need
> > is support for newer versions of Firefox-[357], and
> drivers that
> > work, intel, nv, ati, etc.
> >
> > Should I be trying for a different version of X with
> this LFS-6.6?
>
>  From memory, all recent versions of xorg have worked well :
> when
> run on a fresh LFS.  I don't recall any reasons why I
> needed to
> update individual xorg packages (I'm sure there must have
> been a
> few in this timeframe) and I've not attempted to update xorg
> as a
> whole.

I have been upgrading many packages in machines with different LFS
versions. Updated to xorg-server-1.12.3, in all LFS versions I have,
on 17-Jul-2012, last full xorg build was on 19-Jun-2012, in all
machines, including LFS{6.5,6.7,6.8}.

>  So, my general advice for a desktop is : expect to have to
> build a
> new system from time to time - if you care about potential
> vulnerabilities, that time will often be not of your
> choosing :)
>
>  If you have sufficient RAM and CPU power, building a new
> system
> from scripts (ideally once or twice a year) will keep you up
> to date
> with the major changes on the desktop.

After learning from many here, a lot from Ken (thank you, again!), I
build LFS at least twice a year, for the two releases. But the blfs
complete desktop for personal use, decided to keep at once a year.

[]s,
Fernando