[blfs-support] Xorg-7.5-3 Errors

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 21 21:44:17 PST 2012

It's still very curious to me that nobody on the mailing list seems to
have encountered this problem or its solution, especially as the
libpciaccess changelog suggests it has been a "long-standing" error.
I'm not doing anything unique, as far as I can tell.  I have found a few
reports in Google searches, but many in distros where the only answer is
"install this package update".  ;-)

Anyway, I awoke last night to turn over in bed, with a procedure in my
mind--very strange!  I went to my package manager, dumped the file
list of everything installed for the whole Xorg, grepped /usr/{bin,lib},
ran ldd's on all them, then grepped for libpciaccess. Here's the result:

/usr/bin/X
        libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb76ad000)
/usr/bin/Xorg
        libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb77de000)
/usr/lib/X11/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
        libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb783e000)
/usr/lib/X11/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
        libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb7686000)
/usr/lib/X11/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
        libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb742f000)
/usr/lib/X11/modules/drivers/radeonhd_drv.so
        libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0xb77e9000)

I'm using the intel driver on this box, mach64 on the other, getting
the MTRR error on both, which suggests the server is calling
libpciaccess with the inappropriate arguments.  I'm thinking of
trying a different intel driver first, then maybe a different version
of the server.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm