[blfs-support] blfs-support (no subject)

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 22 10:11:18 PST 2012

> > I am a newer at LFS, and I seek to success; but I need help; I made
> > my LFS - kernel and Isucceed but i face difficulties about the BLFS;
> > because I don`t know which programs- packages i should download. I
> > used to download using wget [webpage] command; and i got the
> > Wireshare, Libpcap and UNIXodbc but it`s not working. Please anyone
> > to guide me. Thanks a lot!

In my opinion, some initial guidance wouldn't come amiss in the book.
For
a relative newbie, having been guided rather directly through the LFS
build, and having a running but extremely Spartan Linux/GNU base
system, the path ahead isn't clear and the popular modern distros do so
much for one it's not at all easy using them as guides.  Now granted, it
is
possible one might want such a clean base system because one is out to
build some sort of "appliance", a router or DMZ host, but directions for
a general purpose, networking, GUI'ed, web capable, client would
likely be the direction most new users would want to go.  The initial
question is: what does it take to get a manageable Linux daily-driver?

In my own case, for example, I split up the path into eight generally
different directions, each of which gets several packages, in something
of a round-robin fashion, a few times around, something like the way
a potter builds a coiled pot:

1) Essentials: patching and updating the kernel, some nicer editors, zip
and unzip, mtools, little things I can't live without

2) Networking: tcpwrappers, iptables, openssl, openssh, DHCP,
inetutils.  Next time around some servers: dnsmasq, vsftpd, apache,
samba, nmap, nessus

3) Systems: expat, pcre, dbus, xml-parser, pci/usb utils, gamin,
smartmon tools, hdparm, parted, and (for the time being) hal

4) Administrative: runparts, lynx, wget, exim, mailx/mutt, cron,
logrotate/logwatch.  Then rcs/cvs/subversion, gnupg, HOWTO's

5) Printing: pdq, cups, gimp-print, enscript, ghostscript, psutils

6) GUI: libpng, freetype, fontconfig, Xorg, fluxbox, rxvt, jpeg,
libtiff, xv, vidtune, dbus-X.

7) GTK: glib, gtk, firefox, thunderbird

8) KDE: qt, ALSA,  KDE

Right now, in my current new version development I'm struggling
in 6 getting Xorg to run without errors.  7 & 8 are a little vague for
now.

The BLFS book, from the newbie's perspective, might benefit by
identifying the bones of a manageable end-user "daily-driver", at
least getting them that far.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm