[blfs-support] blfs-support (no subject)

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sat Dec 22 20:48:48 PST 2012

On 12/22/2012 01:11 PM, Paul Rogers wrote:
>>> I am a newer at LFS, and I seek to success; but I need help; I made
>>> my LFS - kernel and Isucceed but i face difficulties about the BLFS;
>>> because I don`t know which programs- packages i should download. I
>>> used to download using wget [webpage] command; and i got the
>>> Wireshare, Libpcap and UNIXodbc but it`s not working. Please anyone
>>> to guide me. Thanks a lot!
>
> In my opinion, some initial guidance wouldn't come amiss in the book.
> For
> a relative newbie, having been guided rather directly through the LFS
> build, and having a running but extremely Spartan Linux/GNU base
> system, the path ahead isn't clear and the popular modern distros do so
> much for one it's not at all easy using them as guides.  Now granted, it
> is
> possible one might want such a clean base system because one is out to
> build some sort of "appliance", a router or DMZ host, but directions for
> a general purpose, networking, GUI'ed, web capable, client would
> likely be the direction most new users would want to go.  The initial
> question is: what does it take to get a manageable Linux daily-driver?

The definition of a usable system is different for every user, which of
course is pretty much the whole point of {B,}LFS in the first place.

> In my own case, for example, I split up the path into eight generally
> different directions, each of which gets several packages, in something
> of a round-robin fashion, a few times around, something like the way
> a potter builds a coiled pot:
>
> 1) Essentials: patching and updating the kernel, some nicer editors, zip
> and unzip, mtools, little things I can't live without
>
> 2) Networking: tcpwrappers, iptables, openssl, openssh, DHCP,
> inetutils.  Next time around some servers: dnsmasq, vsftpd, apache,
> samba, nmap, nessus
>
> 3) Systems: expat, pcre, dbus, xml-parser, pci/usb utils, gamin,
> smartmon tools, hdparm, parted, and (for the time being) hal
>
> 4) Administrative: runparts, lynx, wget, exim, mailx/mutt, cron,
> logrotate/logwatch.  Then rcs/cvs/subversion, gnupg, HOWTO's
>
> 5) Printing: pdq, cups, gimp-print, enscript, ghostscript, psutils
>
> 6) GUI: libpng, freetype, fontconfig, Xorg, fluxbox, rxvt, jpeg,
> libtiff, xv, vidtune, dbus-X.
>
> 7) GTK: glib, gtk, firefox, thunderbird
>
> 8) KDE: qt, ALSA,  KDE
>
> Right now, in my current new version development I'm struggling
> in 6 getting Xorg to run without errors.  7 & 8 are a little vague for
> now.
>
> The BLFS book, from the newbie's perspective, might benefit by
> identifying the bones of a manageable end-user "daily-driver", at
> least getting them that far.

I'm not sure what you'd really expect. There is already some info at the
beginning of the book explaining what sections of the book you should
probably look at. Personally, I started out basically doing what Ken
mentioned - start with a single specific program I know I want (e.g.
Firefox) and just go down its dependencies. The rest, you learn by
experience.