[blfs-support] Good DNS server for personal and home use?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:02:47 PDT 2012

Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I have a question. I want to have my own DNS server. The main reason
> for this is to increase fault tolerance of my computer, make browsing
> the Web and Internet faster and more enjoyable and have a local miror
> of as much of the Internet as possible.
>
> But I am lost as to what DNS server I should put.
>
> For now, I want to run the server on my computer, serving only my
> computer. I will firewall it from the rest of the world. Later, when I
> move to my own place, I want it to run on a dedicated "master of the
> network" machine, serving the whole home.
>
> I was originaly going to go with BIND, but I have cold feet now because
> of it's many security holes, the ones they still keep discovering all
> the time.

Which ones are those?  I don't follow it closely any more, but bind-9
has been pretty good AFAIK.  The older versions (5, 8) did have a
reputation for problems, but I think 9 is OK.

  Also, I would kind-of like to avoid reading a huge manual to
> set it up in a simple enviroment like this.

Use the instructions in the bind configuration section of the book.  As
far a bind goes, just make sure it uses udp and not tcp.  The problems
in the past have been with regard to zone transfers, but those only
occur with tcp.

Another reference that looks OK is
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HOWTO_Setup_a_DNS_Server_with_BIND

On the other hand, using something without reading a huge manual can be
a problem.  You need to know what you are doing when working with low
level internet protocols.

   -- Bruce