[blfs-support] is it possible to install both xfce and gnome also also maybe kde

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:42:34 PDT 2012

James Pinto wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to install more than one desktop environment in BLFS ?

Yes.  If using startx, you only need to edit ~/.xinitrc and choose what
you want from there.  It's also possible to do some fancy scripting and
have startx ask which desktop, but I don't have any examples since I
don't do that.

That said, if I wanted to do something like that, I'd create a couple of
files, .xinitrc.kde, .xinitrc.lxde, .sinitrc.gnome, etc and have the
script ask which was wanted, then copy the appropriate file to .xinitrc
and startx.

I'm sure something similar could be done with your choice of xdm, gdm,
kdem, etc.

   -- Bruce