[blfs-support] is it possible to install both xfce and gnome also also maybe kde

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 16 08:48:01 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 02:15:34PM +0530, James Pinto wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to install more than one desktop environment in BLFS ?

 Probably.
> Like I want to first try out XFCE then I want to set up Gnome desktop
> environment.
>
> I followed this post
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-build-878043/<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/window-managers-in-blfs-build-878043/>and
> know how to set up multiple window managers and use one.

 I can't be bothered to read that (I'm in a tty on my netbook, no
way to paste to X, and anyway the link looks broken [...]), but for
basic wm's you can just install several, and edit ~/.xinitrc to
specify which one to use.  When I was testing gnome-3.2 I actually
edited that script to accept an argument for which wm to use : the
argument was NOT in $1 by the time startx had passed control to
.xinitrc, so when you are experimenting it is much easier to comment
out the previous wm and add a new line for the one you want to try.

> Is there any way I can set up xfce and then after that set up gnome 3,
> finally choosing to run one of them ? will I be able to switch like i did
> for the window manager above.

 Usually, you run what you prefer.  If you have installed all the
infrastructure for both xfce and gnome 3, you should be able to run
programs from either of them.
> selecting one out of them, I can maybe remove xfce later?
>
> Ive used fluxbox as my window manager Ive heard that in gnome 3.4 the
> mutter window manager was used by default. Do the gnome instructions
> install mutter (I dont think so), or do I need to install Mutter myself?

 If you can't find a BLFS package in index.html, look at
longindex.html.  Mutter is in the gnome chapters, as is metacity -
neither is usable without many other core gnome packages.
> If yes, does Mutter window manager work with XFCE.

 No idea, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
> wikipedia instructions make it look like its for gnome
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutter_...dow_manager%29<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutter_%28window_manager%29>
>
> Which is the best window manager I should use, I heard fluxbox and xfce is
> mostly used for older and slower systems. Im using a 2.9ghz i5, 4gb ram I
> think I could go with a better looking winndow manager metacity iis old and
> outdated they say Mutter it the latest replacing Metacity?

 Current metacity will be run in gnome if you don't have hardware
graphics acceleration, or mutter if you do.  So, if your setup is
correct, gnome will run mutter.  Beauty is a matter of tast - I'm
not enamoured by graphic decorations or icons on the desktop, I use
icewm.

 I've got an old machine with a gnome-3.2 desktop from when I was
putting it into the book (Wayne did the initial preparation).  I
finally put gdm on that (I really don't like the dependencies), and
I can still run fluxbox or icewm from gdm, instead of mutter.
> Im told cokmpositing window managers like compiz metacity and mutter have a
> performance hit for games... is this tryue?
>
> i it possible to install a window manager thats not on the blfs
> instructions, will it work with blfs?

 Yes - there are *many* alternatives out there.  Your system, your
rules.  BLFS is all about choosing the packages you want to use.