[blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel module loaded

John Burrell john_burrell at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:35:12 PDT 2012

> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:13:46 +0200
> From: krejzi at email.com
> To: blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel module loaded
>
> On 07/17/2012 08:44 PM, John Burrell wrote:
> >
> > I installed the latest git versions of libdrm, mesalib and the kernel modules from the nouveau wiki site.
> >
> > I blacklisted the nouveau module so I could boot the machine. KMS is therefore enabled.
> >
> > When I do modprobe nouveau or startx I still get the cycling of the colored screens.
> >
> > startx now gives me a Xorg.0.log which I attach here.
> >
> > I wonder if someone (Armin?) could take a look at it and see if there's anything untoward about it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > jb.
> >

> I don't see anything wrong. In fact, everything looks GREAT. I see you
> used Ubuntu to build LFS, so tell me does it use nouveau too and does it
> experience the same problem? I forgot your configuration. Is that a
> laptop or what?

No, Ubuntu uses a proprietary Nvidia driver.

[    18.291] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    18.291]     compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[    18.291]     Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[    18.291] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  295.40  Thu Apr  5 21:49:54 PDT 2012

Yes it's a laptop with a GeForce 8700M GT - about 4 or 5 yrs old.

If blacklisting nouveau disables KMS, how do I enable it before loading nouveau? I guess I can't.

jb.