[blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel module loaded

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Tue Jul 17 13:03:27 PDT 2012

On 07/17/2012 09:56 PM, Maginot Junior wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think you can use KMS without a initrd (this is not a
>>> partition, but just a initrd file, UBuntu uses one and you can easily
>>> edit it)
>>> check the boot option to see what inirt it's using
>>>

>> Yay, you missed the world. This is LFS, it does not use initrd ...
>>
>> And blacklisting nouveau does not disable KMS, it just disables the
>> driver from loading automatically by udev. That way you can boot using
>> VESA. Nouveau gets loaded when: Xorg Server starts or you modprobe it
>> manually. In either way, KMS will be enabled.
>>
>> Have you ever tried using nouveau with Ubuntu? Did it have same behaviour?
>> --
>
> if you haven't saw this yet it can be helpful
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting
>

> regards
> --
> Maginot Jr.

Pay attention:

And blacklisting nouveau does not disable KMS, it just disables the
river from loading automatically by udev. That way you can boot using
VESA. Nouveau gets loaded when: Xorg Server starts or you modprobe it
manually. In either way, KMS will be enabled.

And as you can see in his Xorg.0.log file, everything is fine. If KMS
was disabled, it would print an error. I suspect it's something with
ACPI stuff or the way laptop backlight is controlled. Laptops are PITA
when you need to get them to work. I had too much trouble with mine.
But, on my side, there was nothing on the screen. Just poor text. I
solved it (after hours of searching) by just pressing "Increase
brightness" button on my keyboard. (DOH!). It didnt, however, happened
with driver blacklisted or with KMS disabled. Also, in my case, it was
intel driver, not nouveau.