[blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel module loaded

Maginot Junior maginot.junior at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:24:45 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maginot Junior wrote:
>
>> You need the video drivers to have KMS working, you can't simple use
>> KMS without nouveau (nvidia boards). Actually, any nvidia proprietary
>> driver can't run with nouveau.
>
> That's true.
>
>> You need the initrd updated to have the KMS/DRM modules from kernel
>> since the early stages, and they should be in sync with the build in
>> the local disk so the initrd can handle to the local disk kernel and
>> Xorg can take advantage of this infrastructure.
>
> Try to read and understand LFS before posting things like this.  LFS
> does *not* use initrd by default, even though a user may do that for
> himself.  We also generally have users minimize kernel modules.

I'm not saying anything about LFS using or not initrd. I'm just trying
to help with the KMS problem issued in the list, which will continue
to exist without an initrd afaik.
LFS doesn't have an initrd, but you can always implement it whetever
you want in your own LFS distro, like I did with mine. Mine have
Initrd, KMS, plymouth and dracut, even those not being in LFS.
but that was just my two cents, I'm out of this thread.

regards

--
Maginot Jr.