[blfs-support] dbus error when running make on at-spi2-atk-2.4.0

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:38:22 PDT 2012

James Pinto wrote:

> I think I know what the problem might be
> Please correct me if Im wrong
>
> I read the following here
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/dbus.html (blfs book
> online)
>
> Note that this boot script only starts the system-wide D-Bus daemon.
>
> So I think I need to Add *dbus-launch* to the line in the ~/.xinitrc file
> and then boot into the LFS system instead of running these commands from
> chroot on the host system....
>
> So I think the dbus daemon wasnt started...
>
> Im I right?

Please trim the non-relevant portions of your posts.

The system-wide dbus daemon is normally started at boot time after you
go to the blfs bootscripts package and run make install-dbus.  If you
want to start in the same session without rebooting, run the script as
the root user:

# /etc/init.d/dbus start

If you are just trying to get up a basic Xorg system running twm for
initial testing, then I don't think dbus is needed at all for testing.
My basic ~/.xinitrc looks like:

  $ cat .xinitrc
# Begin .xinitrc file
xterm  -g 80x40+0+0   &
xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
exec twm

If you have a problem, there are two approaches I use.  First, try
Ctrl-Alt-F2 to see if you can get a console login.  The second is to
have the sshd daemon running and ssh into the system from another
computer and look at what processes are running and the contents of
Xorg.log.0, etc.

Note that in the current default twm/Xorg server, the big X cursor does
not get displayed until you click the mouse.

   -- Bruce