[blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel module loaded

John Burrell john_burrell at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:53:27 PDT 2012

> Are CONFIG_DELL_LAPTOP and CONFIG_DELL_WMI set as Y or M in your kernel
> config?

CONFIG_DELL_WMI is set as a module. I don't see CONFIG_DELL_LAPTOP

> Anyways, you can try adding acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor to your
> kernel command line. I doubt it will change anything, but it's worth a
> try. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

You're right, it makes no difference and of course setting acpi=off means the nouveau module is not loaded and it falls back to using vesa.

I guess this will have to stay as one of those quirky things that doesn't have an obvious solution. I expect a nvidia driver programmer could solve it but I don't have access to one of those.

Thanks for your time and comments Armin and thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - it's much appreciated.

jb.