[blfs-support] dbus error when running make on at-spi2-atk-2.4.0

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 19 11:43:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21:38PM +0530, James Pinto wrote:

> So when I do a make install nothing happens it says nothing to make.
> I guess because make dint run properly so make install doesnt work.....

 As Armin has already noted, you need to explain what failed.
Whenever 'make' (or 'configure') fails, you did not complete the
build, so trying to install it is senseless.

 Find the the error, that is the first part of diagnosing what went
wrong.  Using make -j1 instead of -j2 (or greater) often makes it
easier to find the failure, but even then some packages will produce
many lines of output after the initial error, particularly for a
missing header file.  Using an xterm or similar, so that you can
scroll back (well, I assume you can do that in xterm, but I've been
using urxvt for so long that I can't remember) is often easier.  See
my comments below.

> Since my order of installing gnome may make me fail in my attempts to
> install gnome...
>
> Please suggest/advise me to do this the right way...
>
> How do you suggest?
>
> I just move from one package to the other first installing its dependencies
> and then installing the packages....
>
> Please help, Im struggling using lynx without a net connection....

 Normally, I suggest people break the task (e.g. getting a desktop
that is acceptable to you) into manageable pieces.  But here, I
suspect I'm missing context - why has your machine not got a net
connection ?  If you are on wireless, try installing wpa_supplicant.

 If you don't have a network connection, there isn't very much you
can do on a desktop.

 If you have connectivity, I normally suggest building pkg-config
(now in LFS-svn), a few useful things such as alsa, openssl, Python,
libxml2, libxslt, and then I build xorg [ I don't get on with twm, so
I build fluxbox here ].  At that point you have multiple desktops,
and copy/paste is easier.  I then build some graphics libs and gtk2,
gtk3.  At that point I can build a *better* windowmanager (for me,
icewm, but you might prefer openbox or something else).  Then firefox
with its many dependencies (including nss, nspr, sqlite3). For my
own builds I add libvpx with everything that it can use, but for a
first attempt I might go with the old copies of the many libraries
included in firefox, just to get firefox running sooner - when it is
installed, browsing becomes easier.

 At each stage, work out what the target is (for those initial
packages: minimal sound, connectivity, and expected dependencies
for gnome2/3 applications [ convenient to build them early to ensure
everything can use them ]).  After that, a working Xorg.  Then
modern toolkits, and basic graphics libraries.  And finally firefox
so that I can google without the pain of using lynx.

 For each stage, build all the required/recommended dependencies,
in an order that will provide them for their earliest user, and
similarly add any optional dependencies which you want to use [
sometimes you will need to specify them to the package, other times
they will be used automatically if present ].

 After that, if your priority is to build gnome3, I guess you have
to build it next, or at least the platform, desktop, and those
applications which you want to try.

 My own build order for gnome-3.2, is at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/my-build-order-for-gnome-3.txt
The book has changed a lot since then, occasionally packages have
dropped out, others have been added, and often the dependencies have
changed.  This is just offered as an approach that worked for me at
that time.  The reference to running gnome-shell "if you are crazy
like me" was because I hadn't got video hardware acceleration
working (now sorted - membership of the video group is necessary)
but I wanted to see if I could 'run' gnome-shell : it was 'somewhat
slow' - without the acceleration, clutter apps are hopeless and so
gnome-session falls back to metacity which was usable but 'old'.