[blfs-support] X unsolved and networking solved

Andrew Benton andy at benton.eu.com
Wed May 2 16:29:45 PDT 2012

On Wed, 02 May 2012 22:34:01 +0100
Walter Webb <ngogn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Well, I tried KMS on both computers. Both hesitated for a long time
> when booting, after which the older one with a Radeon HD 3600 Series
> made the display unusable; lots of colors in a fine-grained display.
> The newer one with a Radeon HD 5500 Series displayed 240x75
> characters on a 1920x1200 screen.  X worked normally.

My kitchen computer has a HD 5500 and it needs 3 bits of firmware to
enable KMS. If you build the radeon driver as a module you can load the
firmware at the same time as it loads the module. If you build a
monolithic kernel (as I do) then the firmware needs to be built into
the kernel so it's available as the kernel boots.

The firmware is available from the linux firmware:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git
I put the firmware in /lib/firmware.
The relevant bits of the kernel config:

CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y

# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

Andy