[blfs-support] Shell at startup

David D wiz3kid at gmail.com
Wed May 16 22:47:53 PDT 2012

I am not sure if this is the right list for this but anyway...
Upon finishing the installation of LFS and booting the computer,
I continued on to BLFS.
In the section "Shells" (II.7) the book offers to install various other
shells,
and offers to make the installed shell the default shell.
Since I am not an expert in shells, I figured "why not".
Although there is a note that says that you have to reset the link
to bash in order to build _LFS_, it doesn't say you need to reset the
link in order to _boot_ the OS.
"Why?" you ask?
Well, I found out that soon after I restarted my PC, a bunch of errors
would pop up... the init scripts are written _bash-specific_ yet they
reference /bin/sh:
#!/bin/sh
(see http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/scripts/apds04.html)

I suggest to either make the scripts non-bash-specific by changing certain
lines like
mkdir -p /run/{var,lock,shm}
to be compatible with shells that don't support brace expansion:
mkdir -p /run/var
mkdir -p /run/lock
mkdir -p /run/shm

OR
to change the shell reference to /bin/bash, which seems more logical.

OR
have a script that changes the shell reference back to bash upon startup,
and then changes it again after startup. (seems like a good idea)

In any case, have the user be able to have a custom shell, and have the
system be bootable shell-independent.

Thank you for the great book,
David Dorfman