[blfs-support] X11 and automatically Native Display Resolution

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Wed May 30 12:11:59 PDT 2012

On 05/30/2012 08:07 PM, Maginot Junior wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I need some help to understand how X11 works and what I need to
> achieve these needs:
>
> - Have Xorg support to Intel, Nvidia and ATI ships
> - Be able to get screen resolutions up to 1080p
> - Using automatically vendor selection, like on boot and when the Xorg starts
>
> Im searching this subject for sometime now, and tried doing
> somethings, but now I have a big mess around and don't know where to
> start fixing it.
>
> so, do I need to first compile a kernel with any specific support?
> Do I need that Mesa thing? I don't want or need 3d support, I just
> want to have the most generic and wide configuration possible, so many
> boxes could use the distro with a native display resolution.
> I don't get about how KMS and Framebuffer fits in all this.
>

> regards
>

> --
> Maginot Júnior

1. Make sure you have available kernel drivers either built in or built
as modules with KMS support. Nvidia cards need Nouveau driver which is
available in "Staging" area of Linux before version 3.4.

2. Make sure you have built corresponding DRI/Gallium drivers from
MesaLib package. Default instructions do not include r300 and r600
gallium drivers (for radeon chipsets) which need LLVM to build.

3. Make sure you have possibly latest drivers for corresponding
chipsets. Nouveau driver is only available in Git (I've made a snapshot
which can be built and work with current BLFS SVN [1]). If using
Sandybridge processors, consider using --enable-sna option on Xorg Intel
driver.

[1]
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.16+git20120322.tar.xz

Also, don't use libdrm newer than 2.4.33 since it contains big change
that will break Nouveau driver. (fixed in Mesa 8.1.0)