[blfs-support] Filesystem recovery messages at every boot

Markku Pesonen tourula at gmail.com
Thu May 9 14:18:28 PDT 2013

Arthur Radley wrote:
> Can anyone comment about why I am seeing this in the messages of all
> three of my BLFS systems...
>
> [    3.411285] EXT4-fs (sda1): INFO: recovery required on readonly
> filesystem
> [    3.411343] EXT4-fs (sda1): write access will be enabled during recovery
> [    4.053993] EXT4-fs (sda1): recovery complete
> [    4.062117] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data
> mode. Opts: (null)

I think this is caused by some change in util-linux-2.22 umount code (if
I remember correctly). In /etc/rc.d/init.d/mountfs there is the
following line:
umount -a -d -r -t notmpfs,nosysfs,nodevtmpfs,noproc >/dev/null
Despite using the -r option, umount does not remount the root filesystem
in read-only mode during shutdown like it used to. Adding this command
after that line fixed things for me:
mount -n -o remount,ro /

My own bootscripts are somewhat different than those currently used in
LFS so I'm not sure if this is the right way of fixing this issue in
LFS, but it should be safe to try.