[blfs-support] Filesystem recovery messages at every boot

Arthur Radley misterarthurradley at gmail.com
Thu May 9 19:36:42 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Markku Pesonen <tourula at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is caused by some change in util-linux-2.22 umount code (if
> I remember correctly). In /etc/rc.d/init.d/mountfs there is the
> following line:
> umount -a -d -r -t notmpfs,nosysfs,nodevtmpfs,noproc >/dev/null
> Despite using the -r option, umount does not remount the root filesystem
> in read-only mode during shutdown like it used to. Adding this command
> after that line fixed things for me:
> mount -n -o remount,ro /

Okay. I added that line to /etc/rc.d/init/mountfs. Recapping, the boot
messages before I did that...

[    3.412320] EXT4-fs (sda1): INFO: recovery required on readonly
filesystem
[    3.412385] EXT4-fs (sda1): write access will be enabled during recovery
[    3.688323] EXT4-fs (sda1): recovery complete
[    3.704672] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Opts: (null)
[    3.704774] VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) readonly on device 8:1.

And afterwards, no spew about recovery being required, completed, or write
access during recovery. Only...

[    3.429281] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Opts: (null)
[    3.429378] VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) readonly on device 8:1.

I think I like that better.

But a small amount of additional explanation of what was and is now
happening would be appreciated. I accept out-of-hand the explanation that
before, my root filesystem was not being remounted read-only during
shutdown or reboot. It's just that I still wonder what state or condition
required recovery before, what was being done about it, and why it is no
longer required after adding the command to remount the root filesystem ro
at shutdown and reboot.