[blfs-support] ntp-4.2.6p5

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu May 16 17:47:43 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 07:22:03PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Fernando wrote:
> > I have built without libcap, erased "-u ntp:ntp" from the bootscript.
> > and it is running fine in SVN > 7.3 as in their older sisters.
> >
> > Is it unsafe, or are there other reasons for the modification?

 I wish I could see Fernando's original post, but like all his
posts this week I'm only seeing what gets quoted in replies.  I've
got problems with ntp on desktop systems.  On LFS-svn-20130423 I
built it without noticing that the change in BLFS had added an ntp
user, and I failed to notice that the BLFS-bootscripts had been
updated.  I *thought* I got it to work by adding an ntp user and
group, but my memory might be wrong.

 I then built 20130429 to try to fix the issues I'd seen in my own
build, and to move to newer LFS versions.  So, I added the ntp user
and group, and used what were the then current BLFS bootscripts.
But I still had to alter the bootscript [ this time, by removing the
user and group ] because ntp continued to report something along the
lines of "running as a user is deprecated" - that's from memory, I'm
on my netbook without convenient access to my notes.

 Obviously, when someone has been prepared to do the work to run a
daemon as a user instead of as root, I applaud the effort and cannot
reasonably object.  That's why I've kept quite until now, but it
does start to sound as if it isn't only me who has problems with
this ?