[blfs-support] OpenJDK 1.8u51 build instructions (alternative option)

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun Aug 16 07:05:43 PDT 2015

On 16/08/2015 15:21, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 06:00:21PM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>> On 10/08/2015 19:42, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>>> (Note: Resending this after fixing DKIM signing issues, I apologize in advance
>>> to those who get the email twice)
>>>
>>> I was reading over
>>> <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/openjdk.html>, and it
>>> seemed a bit overly complex.  I've been building OpenJDK for a while, and I
>>> was able to make it so you can use the normal checkout method for getting the
>>> source with a simple patch.  I.e.,:
>>>
>>> hg clone -r jdk8u51-b16 http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u60/
>>> cd jdk8u60
>>> chmod a+rx get_source.sh
>>> patch -p1 < fix-source.patch
>>> ./get_source.sh -r jdk8u51-b16
>>>
>>> Then you can just run ./configure <options> etc
>>>

>>> Figured this may be useful to others.  It essentially passes the -r <tag>
>>> option to the initial source clone of the other required repositories.
>>>
>>> Now there's no need to download all the tarballs separately, etc.
>>>
>>> --Quanah
>>>

>> It looks like those instructions require mercurial to be available. The BLFS
>> policy is such that the user be able to build without being connected to
>> internet after the tarballs have been downloaded, which means that no required
>> instruction in the book use mercurial (or git, or subversion...)
>> Regards,
>> Pierre
>
> I haven't seen either of the original posts, but to Pierre : what
> about libreoffice ?
>
> ĸen

Good question! I haven't built LO for a while... So I do not know. I think I
never realized that there were downloads occurring during the build process...

Back to OJDK: if the procedure from the OP is acceptable for the book, I'll be
happy to include it, but I does not prevent the need for storing files (at
least java binaries and probably jtreg) on anduin.

Pierre