[blfs-support] libgcrypt-1.6.4

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Nov 2 06:47:19 PST 2015

On Mon, November 2, 2015 13:17, Richard Melville wrote:
> Under "Command Explanations" it reads "--with-capabilities: This
> option enables libcap2 support".
>
> May we have a health warning here because if this option is enabled,
> and the user goes on to build and install cryptsetup, they will find
> that their cryptsetup build is completely broken.
>
> Result:-
>
> device-mapper: version ioctl on  failed: Permission denied
> Incompatible libdevmapper (unknown version) and kernel driver (unknown
> version).
>
> I know that cryptsetup is not in the book, but I'm sure that I'm not
> the only one that sees it as an essential tool for encrypting block
> devices.  Building libgcrypt with the "capabilities" option gave me
> two days of building, rebuilding and testing other packages until I
> discovered the cause of the problem.
>
> Richard

Just to give a bit of history, this issue has been around since about
2010. I'm also posting urls with some more info about the issue:

https://bugs.gnupg.org/gnupg/issue1181
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=47

The project has moved to gitlab and am not able to view the issue linked
in the above bug or can determine if it would be valid:

https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=47

I usually build cryptsetup with systemd for encrypted filesystem support
and I do remember long ago I had the same issue with Richard. I ended up
not using --with-capabilities after I encountered the same problem.

Sincerely,

William Harrington