[blfs-support] libical

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:13:08 PST 2015

alex lupu wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pierre Labastie wrote:

>>> (
>>> https://github.com/libical/libical/releases/download/v1.0.1/libical-1.0.1.tar.gz
>>> )
>>>
>>> and I have the same md5sum as Alex...
>>>
>>> But when I download
>>> https://github.com/libical/libical/archive/v1.0.1.tar.gz,
>>> I get the same md5sum as the book.
>>>
>>> The size is the same for both downloads. I guess the only difference is
>>> the gzip time stamp.
>>>
>>> Looks like the md5sum should be changed in the book to reflect what the
>>> link given in the book provides.
>>> I can do that unless somebody objects.
>>>

>> Please do.  IIRC, we originally downloaded the v1.0.1 version and then the
>> proper tarball name became available.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>>
>>> Assuming you've never heard of BLFS, Arch, etc.,
> but, for some reason, you want LibICAL (source).
>
> You google "libical".
> The second result is
> "libical/libical GitHub"
> (
> ​this ​
> looks more promissing, "libical" is shown twice, for emphasis I suppose)
>
> Click on the link.
>
> At the big page "GitHub libical/libical",
> click on "3 releases" link.
>
> At the "Libical version 1.0.1", under "Downloads"
>
> - if you click on "libical-1.0.1.tar.gz"
> you'll end up with a 'libical-1.0.1.tar.gz'
> with an MD5 of
> d26a58149aaae9915fa79fb35c8de6fc
> (720618 bytes)
>
> - if you click on "Source code (tar.gz)"
> you'll end up with a 'libical-1.0.1.tar.gz'
> with an MD5 of
> af91db06b22559f863869c5a382ad08a
> (720618 bytes)
>
> which shows that
> ​ after all​
> , as Einstein used to say,
> everything in life is relative.

No, it shows that github is screwed up.  What they do in a browser
download is to change v1.0.1 to libical-1.0.1.  The devs put up a separate
properly named tarball for those of us who want to download without a
browser, e.g. wget, can obtain a properly named tarball without a -O
option (which would be missing in a generated wget-list).

   -- Bruce