[blfs-support] BlueZ Service

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 16:48:25 PST 2015

​Pierre:  ".service" files are used with systemd.
Bruce:  The bluetooth.service is only for systemd.  It's basically a boot
script for bluez.  I don't have any .service files, so neither of the files
seems relevant to the main book.

Hi,

I'm not so sure '.service' files (and concept) have something to do with
"systemd", if at all (BTW, my system is BLFS, NON-systemd, 32 bits):

1.  In my '/usr/share/dbus-1' I can find '.service' files dated as early as
Oct. 2010 (for example, "Tracker").

2.  The DBus 'intro" (May 2013)
<www.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntroductionToDBus>
does not mention "systemd" at all.
The "Client service" concept seems to be a DBus own artifact, independent
of
the "type" of Linux system.

3.  The '.service' files in '/usr/share/dbus-1' were put there by various
packages on install (typical example, "UPower") automatically,
certainly not by me.
This is the reason for my OP - "BlueZ" seems to be the exception to the
"rule", i.e., here the user is supposed to be aware and understand the
notion of DBus client service and act accordingly.

4.  As maybe an aside, my whole preoccupation with "Service" stems from
various error messages I get on starting my self-compiled "chromium"
browser (I compile a new "Dev" release every week or so - don't ask why,
so far the doctors are in aggreement: OCD.  The fact that the
compilations succeed even on a non-systemd system only encourages my
condition, they say :).

The latest message du jour (excerpt):
"... The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files"

To chase and quiet it I moved the 'src/org.bluez.service' to
'/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/' manually.
(I don't have Bluetooth but I installed BlueZ anyway :)

5.  For a possibly interesting coverage of DBus Service errors
(of my type) I can offer Chromium Issue 273829:
<https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=273829>

Cheers,
-- Alex​