[blfs-support] Chromium

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:50:43 PST 2015

On 25 November 2015 at 10:07,  <willie at tuta.io> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> For the past year I've been using Chromium and Firefox on BLFS. The chromium
> browser is the open source version of Chrome and works really fast. I'm
> wondering if there is enough interest in adding and maintaining this in the
> book?
>
> It has plenty of dependencies, which are all in the BLFS book, except the
> build tool "ninja" which you can compile in around 0.1 SBU, don't install
> and then use for compiling chromium. Afterwards you can remove it so it's
> not really a dependency.
>
> Compilation time is comparable to LibreOffice, around 200 SBU.
>
> I build chromium mainly based on the scripts from Arch linux and Gentoo.

I like the idea -- I haven't built it myself, but I have used it.
Recently I've been looking at the Iridium https://iridiumbrowser.de/
alternative, a secure browser built on Chromium but with all the
Google "call home" stuff removed.  The source code, as well as the
binaries, is available on the website; maybe it's a better
alternative.

Richard