[blfs-support] Chromium

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 25 09:55:31 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:50:43AM +0000, Richard Melville wrote:
> On 25 November 2015 at 10:07,  <willie at tuta.io> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > For the past year I've been using Chromium and Firefox on BLFS. The chromium
> > browser is the open source version of Chrome and works really fast. I'm
> > wondering if there is enough interest in adding and maintaining this in the
> > book?
> >
> > It has plenty of dependencies, which are all in the BLFS book, except the
> > build tool "ninja" which you can compile in around 0.1 SBU, don't install
> > and then use for compiling chromium. Afterwards you can remove it so it's
> > not really a dependency.
> >
> > Compilation time is comparable to LibreOffice, around 200 SBU.
> >
> > I build chromium mainly based on the scripts from Arch linux and Gentoo.
>

> I like the idea -- I haven't built it myself, but I have used it.
> Recently I've been looking at the Iridium https://iridiumbrowser.de/
> alternative, a secure browser built on Chromium but with all the
> Google "call home" stuff removed.  The source code, as well as the
> binaries, is available on the website; maybe it's a better
> alternative.

When chromium was mentioned in the past, I think that the size was
as much of a problem as the build times (lots of local, modified,
libraries in the source).  Add in the "call home" stuff and I cannot
see the point of trying to build it (I used to have small
partitions).

Also, in the past few months my impression is that there were many
vulnerabilities being found in chromium.  I don't keep a count, but I
have seen several mentions in the security reports of lwn - looking
there, and ignoring what appear to be multiple reports for the same
family of distros, in the last month (from October 26th) I think that
Mageia has updated twice, OpenSuse 3 times, and Arch once (it is
possible that Arch were ahead of the game, they had a batch of fixes
12 days earlier).  That sounds like a lot of work to keep the book
current, particularly for a package which is so slow to build.

Iridium sounds nicer, but I have no idea how the maintenance burden
would compare.  Also, looking at their tarballs, the size is growing
as badly as firefox, but from a higher base (347M for 46, 378M for
47 -test1).