[blfs-support] Chromium

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 25 14:48:14 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 07:21:51PM +0000, willie at tuta.io wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, yes the tarball is huge.
>
> Regarding the vulnerabilities, these are all pretty small compared to
> Firefox, because Chromium runs in a solid sandbox there are no remotely
> exploitable bugs AFAIK. Sometimes a new version is released because of a new
> Adobe Flash version (which is only included in Chrome, not in Chromium).
>
> Regarding the privacy settings, I use the Inox patchset to reduce the Google
> dependencies, it's similar to Iridium but it keeps the Chromium source as a
> base instead of forking: https://github.com/gcarq/inox-patchset
>
> There are a lot of dependencies built in, but with system libvpx-1.5.0, a
> Gentoo ffmpeg patch, the Arch Linux system ICU commands, I can use most (all)
> system libraries instead of the bundled ones.

That is all good, but how much space does the build need ?  I saw a
reference to using system libs, at the expense of a slower startup.
Chromium appears to only be available from git ?  If so, the docs
(which might be old, dunno) say

"It takes about 10GB or so of disk space to check out and build the
source tree. This number grows over time."

(from)
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_build_instructions_prerequisites.md

I assume that the resulting checkout will be larger than the iridium
tarball, and finding somewhere to store a tarred up version may be a
problem.  It might also need manual inspection to identify when a
new version should be used,chromium seems to have *frequent* tags.

The main source tarball link from Arch's PKGBUILD does not appear to
be browsable, and there is at least one additional source download
required.  I cannot tell how many of Arch's obscure deps (snappy,
speech-dispatcher, yet another perl module, some others, and a
side-order of Lennart) are needed anyway and how many can be
ignored by BLFS sysvinit users.

> Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can provide a build script. So far, I get
> the feeling there is a lack of interest in Chromium on LFS, at least to
> include and maintain it in the book. This is ldd for chromium.
>

>     libminizip.so.1 => /usr/lib/libminizip.so.1 (0x00007ff434782000)

Apart from that one library, all the others seem to be present on my
completed desktop system - apart from any build dependencies, and
the patches you use, it doesn't look as if too much would be needed.
I was a bit surprised to see libFLAC as a dependency for a browser,
but no doubt they have their reasons (I hope it isn't for phoning
home from the microphone ;-)

A script, with a note of uncommon dependencies, might be a starting
point.  As william said, hints are also good - but they tend to get
out of date.

I was interested enough to add iridium to my "look at this sometime"
list, but for the moment I have no idea how to approach that and no
time.