[blfs-support] pavucontrol

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed May 4 19:55:00 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 10:27:38AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> alex lupu wrote:
>
> >   Why is "pavucontrol" not included in BLFS.
> >   (there _must_ be a reason - that escapes me for the moment)
>
> 1.  I don't think editors have been aware of the app.

Actually, I've been aware of it for several years.  I came across it
when I was first tempted to try to use pulse (back in the days when
BLFS was on gnome-2) - but at that time I could not get any of it to
work, so I gave up.

Later I picked up the gnome-3 stuff that Wayne had been preparing
and eventually (around gnome-3.2) built a full gnome desktop - and
in that, pulse worked ok without pavucontrol.  I have also built
pulse as part of kde5, and when that has worked (plasma does not work
on every machine where I tried it) it did not need pavu to control
the volume.

But on my normal builds (mostly avoiding Desktop Environments,
although I use a couple of gnome packages and on some machines I use
most of xfce) I do not build pulse.

environments it *might* be useful - but I have no idea.