[blfs-support] GObject Introspection and a sense of development directions

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat May 21 16:29:54 PDT 2016

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 03:57:58PM -0700, Paul Rogers wrote:
> I make (B)LFS systems for "end-user" use.  When it comes to optional
> dependencies, I tend to avoid their installation and maintenance
> "expense" unless I can see a positive, direct benefit to the end-user
> experience.
>
> So far I've avoided the GObject Introspection package.  It's optional in
> many of the BLFS packages.  I don't see the positive end-user benefit,
> but I'm getting a vague impression it's an "up and coming" bit of glue
> that may someday be essential.
>
> So I'm wondering if it should "be on my radar" for integration into
> the "base" if I end up restructuring/rebuilding this system.  Can
> anybody give me information about the roadmap for GI use in "modern"
> Linux systems?

It's part of gnome.  The only parts of gnome _I_ care about are
gucharmap (the only mostly-decent way of checking codepoints against
the installed fonts : downgraded to mostly- because it no longer
shows combining diacriticals) and evince (still usable for PDFs, and
with the right optional dep it can open eps files).  And for those -
and a lot else besides - introspection is unnecessary.

So in my opinon I think you should continue to ignore it.