[blfs-support] Dependency chain

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun May 29 12:59:27 PDT 2016

Paul Rogers wrote:
> The BLFS pages tell us the requirements for each package, upstream so to
> say.  I'm finding myself grepping a package name root in the book
> directory often enough because I want to know what a package supports,
> downstream so to say.
>
> I know it'd certainly be *possible* to put that in the book when
> packages and their dependencies are updated.  Could the idea gain
> "traction"?

What we have now is a linked list of what a package needs to be built.
What you are asking about is to create a doubly linked list in both
directions.

I do not think this is reasonable for a couple of reasons.  First, we do
not have the manpower to spend the time to figure that out. Second, it
creates a maintenance nightmare because at every package update (often 3-5
per day, sometimes more), we would potentially need to to update the
dependent packages for changes.

If you can come up with a script that automatically generates such a
script, we could host that as an additional service, but I don't think
it's practical to include it in the book.

   -- Bruce