[blfs-support] Dependency chain

Munir Contractor munircontractor at gmail.com
Tue May 31 10:00:30 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Rogers wrote:
>
>> The BLFS pages tell us the requirements for each package, upstream so to
>> say.  I'm finding myself grepping a package name root in the book
>> directory often enough because I want to know what a package supports,
>> downstream so to say.
>>
>> I know it'd certainly be *possible* to put that in the book when
>> packages and their dependencies are updated.  Could the idea gain
>> "traction"?
>>

> What we have now is a linked list of what a package needs to be built.
> What you are asking about is to create a doubly linked list in both
> directions.
>
> I do not think this is reasonable for a couple of reasons.  First, we do
> not have the manpower to spend the time to figure that out. Second, it
> creates a maintenance nightmare because at every package update (often 3-5
> per day, sometimes more), we would potentially need to to update the
> dependent packages for changes.
>
> If you can come up with a script that automatically generates such a
> script, we could host that as an additional service, but I don't think it's
> practical to include it in the book.

Hello,

I had a similar question as Paul, where I wanted to know which packages
depend on a particular package.
At the same time, I understand that this becomes too much work for the
people working on updating the book and, for what its worth, I also think
it is does not add much value in the book.

So, I ended up creating a small Python command line utility that could
scrap the data from the book and give me such a list.
It is not perfect, but is mostly functional and it helps do a look ahead,
especially for optional packages.
I have saved the code on my Github (
https://github.com/munircontractor/blfs-pck-tree-builder).
Especially, if there are changes I can make to this so that it can be
hosted, please let me know.
Maybe it might help others with similar issues, and also will help me fix
issues with it or add features.

Thanks,
Munir