[blfs-support] BLFS_8.1 vsftod-3.0.3

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 1 11:35:13 PDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:04:13PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 06/01/2018 12:33 PM, Paul Rogers wrote:
> > How did you guys build vsftpd-3.0.3 with openssl-1.1.0f?  Openssl built,
> > tested, and installed without error.  Building vsftpd fails when
> > vsf_findlibs.sh does not set up -lssl -lcrypto.  ssl.c compiles "without
> > error":
> > gcc -c opts.c -O2 -fPIE -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
> > -Wall -W -Wshadow -Werror -Wformat-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> > -idirafter dummyinc
> > gcc -c ssl.c -O2 -fPIE -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wall
> > -W -Wshadow -Werror -Wformat-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -idirafter
> > dummyinc
> > gcc -c sslslave.c -O2 -fPIE -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
> > -Wall -W -Wshadow -Werror -Wformat-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> > -idirafter dummyinc
> >
> > Sure, I could force the issue, but this shouldn't've happened.
> > Something's wrong that needs to be fixed properly.  I never learned C,
> > too busy programming other languages at the time, too old to learn now
> > (really!  memory's shot).
>
> I don't recall for any problems for 8.1 but that was about nine months ago.
> I just checked with openssl 1.1.0h and had no warnings or errors.
>
>   -- Bruce
Not a package I use, and the only obvious change in the book since
8.1 is adding libnsl which I assume is not required on the older
glibc.

Paul might care to google for arch-linux vsftpd : their build file
shows a change to the conf to apparently enable SSL, and a sed to
link to openssl-1.1.

As always, I cannot recommend using an old version of openssl ;-)
But fixing that means taking steps to fix make-ca.  If Paul looked
at a recent version of the svn book with openssh-1.1.0h and
make-ca-0.7, the fix should be there, make-ca-0.8 should be ok.

I say 'should' because links -g seems to connect to e.g. google
using https: but that's as far as I've got in my acceptance-testing
of the current build (last night's books), currently building llvm
on the way to Xorg.

                       War is Peace
                    Freedom is Slavery
                   Ignorance is Strength