[blfs-support] Document adding user to audio group in alsa-lib-1.1.6 step?

Don Cross cosinekitty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 17:59:20 PDT 2018

When I built alsa-lib and alsa-utils from the BLFS instructions, audio just
didn't work. Then I noticed that "aplay -L" would produce a null list from
my own user account, but would show the correct list of PCMs while logged
in as root. I fixed this problem by adding my user account to the audio
group:

sudo usermod -aG audio $USER

I had to log out and back in for the fix to take effect. After this, "aplay
-L", and all the other audio functionality (speaker-test, mpg123, etc.)
worked fine from my normal user account.

It would be helpful to include the above command in:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/multimedia/alsa-lib.html

At least, this is the case on my sysvinit build of BLFS. Some stuff I read
online made me think this isn't needed with systemd, but I'm not sure I
understood correctly.

I'm learning a lot doing all this stuff. I'm glad LFS/BLFS is available.
Thanks!
- Don