Text Updates Completed

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 07:46:35 PST 2005

--- Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:

> I just finished updating a lot of text in the book.
> I request that
> anyone that views the 11302005 and later version of
> the book(when it
> gets rendered) to help verify the text. If you see
> something that is
> questionable or don't like the wording, post a note
> here or reply to
> this message.

Chapter 6:

- 6.3.1
"Tell the compiler to use our 64 bit Build flags"
=> "Tell the compiler to use our 64 ***bits*** Build
flags", and perhaps indicates that this compiler is
the one built before for cross-compile (stored in
${CC})

- 6.4.1
"The following patch ensures that gcc does not search
the /usr directory for libgcc_s.so when
cross-compling"
=> "The following patch ensures that gcc does not
search the /usr directory for libgcc_s.so when
cross-***compiling***"

- 6.4.1
"Use our cross-complier instead of the one GCC builds,
named xgcc"
=> "Use our cross-***compiler*** instead of the one
GCC builds, named xgcc"

- 6.5.1
"Tell ZLIB to use our architecutre specific gcc and
use our 32 bit build flags"
=> "Tell ZLIB to use our ***architecture*** specific
gcc and use our 32 ***bits*** build flags"

- 6.5.1
"Tells zlib to build shared libraries"
=> "Tells zlib to build shared ***library***"

- 6.10.1
"Move the gzip program to the /bin directory and
create some commonly used symlinks to it"
=> This line must be removed, or the command added

- 6.16.1
"Forces Gettext is use our Target Architecture g++
compiler with our 32 bit build flags"
=> "Forces Gettext ***to*** use our Target
Architecture g++ compiler with our 32 ***bits*** build
flags"

- 6.16.1
"Because nothing in this chapter or the next requires
this library a nd Gettext gets rebuilt later"
=> "Because nothing in this chapter or the next
requires this library ***and*** Gettext gets rebuilt
later"

- 6.22.1
"Fix a minor issue during the build when
cross-compling"
=> "Fix a minor issue during the build when
cross-***compiling***"

- 6.22.1
"Bash also has issues when compiled against newer
versions of Glibc"
=> "Bash also has ***issue*** when compiled against
newer versions of Glibc"

- 6.22.1
"Bash will use the malloc functions from Glibc"
=> "Bash will use the malloc ***function*** from
Glibc"

- 6.23
"Introductory text about the diferecies between the
boot and chroot method"
=> "Introductory text about the ***differencies***
between the boot and chroot ***methods***"

- Perhaps could it be mentionned somewhere that the
/cross-tools directory can be removed, when it becomes
unuseful?

Regards
G. Moko